Saturday, September 6, 2008

Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur: A Review


Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur (henceforth FM MR) launched in 2000 and was created by Maurice Roucel. Maurice Roucel has created several of my favorite fragrances (Bond No 9 Broadway Nite, Bond No 9 New Haarlem, Gucci Envy, Hermes 24 Faubourg, Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist) so this coupled with MR coming from Frederic Malle nearly guaranteed I would love it.

And love it, I do. Here’s the thing, I don’t like dirty-body-odor-animalic-musky perfumes like Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan. I really don’t like musk-dominant perfumes at all. In a nutshell, FM MR is a musk perfume for those who don’t like musk. First of all, FM MR is rather sweet and safe for a musk. If FM MR were a person, she’d be a classy, prep school educated, pink twin-set and pearls girl, with a pair of fishnets and stilettos hidden away in her weekend bag.

FM MR opens with a lavender citrus blast that hits the back of my throat and makes me cough. Within 5-10 minutes the opening disappears and it begins a beautiful journey to the ultimate woodsy, musky, vanilla, and spice dry down. The longevity is unbelievable. I mean really unbelievable. A few sprays will last you all day and easily through the night. I’m a stickler for lasting power so I’m incredibly impressed by the potency (2-3 sprays will do you!) and lasting power which makes the price tag seem just about reasonable.

I think FM MR is casual and soothing as well as sexy. It’s a sweet skin scent in its very own league. Stunning.

Maurice Roucel’s next fragrance for Frederic Malle, Dans tes Bras, arrives at Barney’s next month. It’s described as a woody violet and I can hardly wait.

Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur’s listed notes:
Top: Lavender, bergamot
Middle: Clove, cinnamon
Base: Gaiac wood, cedar, sandalwood, vanilla, tonka, musk

Available at Barney’s (click for website)

No comments: