Friday, June 4, 2010

TWRT 6.4.10

This Week’s Random Thoughts

Hello fragrance friends...it’s been awhile. Life has gotten in the way plus I’ve had very little interest in perfume. It happens I guess.

I found the best coconut fragrance: Profumi del Forte Vittoria Apuana. This is even better than Parfums de Nicolaï Cocacabana because it stays coconut and doesn’t turn into orange & sandalwood.

It’s 95 degrees in Santa Fe today. Dry heat is so much more manageable than humidity. It’s not a myth, it’s true.

I’ve realized I don’t like strong cedar notes. Probably the reason why I can’t get into SL Bois de Violette, it’s all cedar, all the time, on me.

Some new fragrances I’m loving:
Heeley Oranges & Lemons Say the Bells of St. Clements: This wins the longest name prize; it’s longer than Bond No. 9 Success is a Job in New York. But what does it smell like you ask? It’s a beautiful citrus neroli, very similar to Serge Lutens Fleurs de Citronnier but more citrusy and zesty.

Profumum Ninfea: beautiful powdery rose, along the same idea as L’Artisan Drole de Rose but greener and more potent.

Bond No. 9 Saks-en-Rose is another powdery rose I’ve mentioned before. If you like this sort of soft, green, slightly powdery pink rose, give this a shot, it’s nice.

Santa Maria Novella Melograno: ok so this isn’t new but it’s new to me. I love it. I have no idea what a pomegranate smells like but this is powdery (not talcum powder, but perhaps orris root powder), slight incense and slight sweet tartness. It’s unusual.

I simply cannot wait for Parfums DelRae Coup de Foudre. A bottle is on the way.

American Idol is over and for the second year in a row the wrong contestant won.

My favorite new beauty item: Silk pillowcases. Not satin but raw silk. These are so amazing for your skin and hair. You don’t wake up looking like a cat dragged you through the bushes backwards, and supposedly there will be less wrinkles (jury is still out on this but it makes some sense).

Once you go Greek, you never go back. Yogurt. I’m talking about Greek yogurt. Chobani brand especially.

This time of year I become wistful. I see cars decorated by high school students, “We Made It! Class of 2010!” I regain that feeling of hope, freedom, joy and slight anxiety that I felt so many years ago. It’s a tingly sensation.

Did you know Martha Stewart was a model before she became Mistress of the Domestic Domain? That’s her in the photo above.

I’m having a rose phase. Une Rose is so beautiful it’s distracting. Sonoma Scent Studio Vintage Rose is so palpably juicy, jammy and plushy petals over wood. Serge Lutens Sa Majest La Rose is pure and simple rose perfection. Amouage Lyric, though not especially about pure roses, makes me want to roll around in it.

Nurse Jackie is such a great show. The characters are fantastic. My interest in The United States of Tara has waned. Similar to Weeds (which I couldn’t stomach after season 2) the main character annoys the heck out of me. True Blood begins again in a few weeks – yayyyy!

Where has Caron Montaigne been all my life? I haven’t a clue why I never bothered to try it but it’s a beautiful fruity floral. Vintage yet modern. Soft yet potent.

My beverage of the past month has been iced tea. Unsweetened iced tea with a splash of white grape juice for sweetness.

Sandwich of the week: tuna salad wrap. I’ve been mixing tuna with light mayo, diced celery and red onion, adding celery salt and pepper, then topping with dill pickles and tomato. The only tuna I eat is Bumble Bee solid white albacore in the gold colored label. Sometimes I sprinkle chopped cilantro or basil across the top, too.
Have a fragrant weekend everyone!

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Nice to have you back! I also love Vintage Rose and Lyric, and generally can't get enough rose...Lumière Noire and Ava Luxe Rasa are also getting a lot of love over here. Off to look into Coup de Foudre (haven't heard much about it!)

It's 70 and dry here right now, but the fog is moving in, as it does each evening in June and July...

Have a great weekend, and don't be a stranger!

Katy Josephine said...

I, too love Nurse Jackie - it's great! Also, tuna salad has been my wrap of choice - had one for lunch today. However, I do love cedar in almost anything. Enjoyed your post - have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to where you got your Profumi del Forte Vittoria Apuana? This was one of my best un-sniffed buys of this year. I got it from Takishimaya right before the announced they were closing. So sad. Very good fragrance though, very beachy.

Glad to see your back!

Ines said...

Oh, you're back! :)
I just discovered Heeley's st. Clement's (to keep it short) and I really like it.
And I have to agree on heat and humidity part since I live where it's humid all year round and I'm not looking forward to a summer here. It really is difficult for the body.

ScentScelf said...

Heel's Bells, not yet tried,
though it's been hot and humid outside.

Unsweetened iced tea is just the thing,
Continuing in summer what I started in spring.

Cedar notes, they don't bother me,
though in for a penny, out for a pound, I can easily see.

Profunum Ninfea sounds all the right notes
but for pleasure or headache? gets equal votes

Coconut in fragrance, my jury is out
Though if you recommend it, I'll try it, no doubt

TV I am dodging, and also the rest
(could be I tire of couplets, as do you, I'd guess)

Welcome back. :)

kathleen said...

I've been wondering where you had gotten to. I agree on the Greek yogurt. All other yogurts are just slop in comparison.

Try Neil Morris' Vanille Rose.

I was in the supermarket today. A lady came up to me and told me that I smelled so good, she was following me to catch whiffs. I was wearing RD's Scandal.

Jared said...

I just tried Une Rose for the first time the other day. Stunning rose. I'm still unsure of what to do with roses though or how I feel about them. Still, one of the best.

I like your thought about those graduation signs everywhere. It does seem to take you back to that time, doesn't it? Being on a threshold, which is either liberating or terrifying. Great tension!

Abigail said...

Hi Carly,
I called Takashimaya but they wouldn't take telephone orders... so I ordered mine from Lianne Tio in the Netherlands. It is a fantastic beachy fragrance. Somehow it manages to be sophisticated and beachy (two things which don't usually go together).

ScentScelf
LOVE your poem. My goodness, the creativity on the blogoshpere! ;-)

Tammy said...

Caron's Or et Noir is my favorite rose at the moment.....have also been anjoying AG Rose Absolue. Profunum Ninfea may be next on my list, along with the DelRae.

Anonymous said...

I too am having a rose phase!

Pretty much the same as you -- Une Rose is distractingly beautiful... definitely an evening scent though -- it's a wine and make-up kind of scent.

Sa Majesté la Rose -- perfection I think I cannot live without.

Voleur des Roses -- a more casual dirty rose scent that I find irresistable.

Paestum Rose -- my desert island scent, the one I reach for day after day...

Une Rose Chyprée and Le Maroc Pour Elle ... simply gorgeous and lush; have to spray carefully though...

-Monika